Low self-esteem is the result of a long chain of events, incidents, beliefs, and self-criticisms that are not easy to let go of. Here we will see how affirmations can be useful as a cure for low self-esteem.
According to experts, self-esteem can be broadly divided into two kinds −
● Global self-esteem − This is a fixed self-assessment of how we view ourselves in relation to the environment we live and work in.
● Situational self-esteem − This is a self-assessment on what we do, how we perform a task, and how much appreciation or criticism we get on our results. Depending on these responsibilities and circumstances, self-esteem fluctuates from high (while getting praise) to low (while facing criticism).
Affirmations are encouraging statements about yourself that are either true or have a strong possibility of being true. Affirmative thinking helps to stop negative self-talk and increase self-esteem. A dose of affirmative self-talk every day can ingrain them as your feelings and beliefs.
Using affirmations to replace negative thoughts like “I am useless at this job.” with “I might make mistakes but I will learn fast.” not only counters negative thoughts but also makes this positive thinking a part of your thought process.
Counter any negative thoughts coming to your mind when in an unfavorable situation, by giving yourself a positive message. The following affirmations can help you to work toward building a positive self-image −
● People respect me.
● People enjoy my company.
● I am confident of my skills.
● I am caring and my family loves me.
● I can handle relationships and work well.
● I am friendly and give positive vibes.
● I love the way I am.
● I love the way I look.